Christian Grece, European Audiovisuel Observatory analyst, highlights the difficulties faced by European films to be released on VOD after their theatrical releases. However, he underlines that some genres know a better popular success on VOD.
- Christian Grece • Analyst, European Audiovisual Observatory
- Half of all European films make it to VOD but US films still dominate in Europe
- Distribution networks get €1.15m EU funding boost
- Why Film Bizzers Are Still Outraged Over Europe’s Digital Single Market Plan
The European Audiovisual Observatory published a report on the circulation of European movies from theaters to VOD. It appears that half of European films are released on VOD but American ones remain dominant in Europe.
In 2016, the Creative Europe program is renewing Under The Milky Way two projects.
- Walk This Way will enable the exploitation of more than 50 films on VOD platforms at the European level through direct support of technical and marketing expenses
- TIDE 4 is the sequel to the previous actions and will focus on Italy, Spain and Portugal Day & Date Films releases.
The European Commission has started to launch its Digital Single Market Plan. Criticized by industryites, it consists in clearing borders to allow people to access TV and films contents wherever they are in the EU. Many obstacles exist in the current organization of rights contents in different territories. This article tries to enlight some of them.
Read full article here